[Mono-list] GSoC questions on SIlverlight video editor
sadakov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:46:41 EDT 2009
I want to make sure that I understand this proposed GSoC task correctly:
“Using Silverlight 2.0 build the UI for video editing software”.
Below I wrote my understanding of the deliverable, my questions, bio, and
risks. Please tell me if I got the idea right, thanks!
The deliverable will be a user-friendly Silverlight application for
in-browser video editing. The app will be somewhat like
- the GSoC 2005 Diva Video Editor http://mono-project.com/Summer2005#Diva
- the Top Banana MIX2007
The well polished GUI should resemble specialized software like Apple’s
iMovie and Adobe’s After Effects. The GUI will consist of:
- preview area for the video,
- timeline editor with drag-and-drop editing, skimming, trimming, cut &
- resource list (media library).
- Tools to apply effects and transitions to the clips.
The sample application should work within web browsers supporting
Silverlight 2.0, be written in clean, maintainable code.
1. The Diva Video Editor was an incredible GUI program. We want a similar
2. I am most comfortable working in C# in Visual Studio 2008, may I
implement this application in Visual Studio 2008 and Expression Blend Suite?
My name is Dmitri Sadakov. I have a master’s degree in computer science,
going on to PhD in CS, both from Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University,
Russia. I’ve been a computer engineer for around 8 years, 6 of it devoted to
C#, ASP.Net, and winforms. The most complicated coding project I have been
involved in is NYSE backend website (http://www.nyse.com/) and the Eluma (
My open source experience includes coding my masters degree application as
open source samba crawler & search interface, Lan-Crawler (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lan-crawler/). The last 2 years I have been
working in ASP.Net, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and objective-c, I am most
comfortable working with C#.
Creating an in-browser video editing application in Silverlight should be
worth spending time on this summer. I am eager to increase Silverlight
skills, and help the open source community. Also, lately I have been working
a lot with Adobe After Effects for video editing and creating motion
- I will need to research to understand the mechanics of grabbing images
from video streams.
- Same for the mechanics of applying transitions and effects
- Moonlight 2.0 Beta will be released mid May 2009
http://www.mono-project.com/MoonlightRoadmap , there is a big chance of
this video editor to not work on that beta.
- The project might prove to be too hard for my experience with
silverlight, then again it might not.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Mono-list