[MonoDevelop] #D coorporation

John Luke jluke@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:03:33 -0500

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 14:49 +0100, Mike Krueger wrote:

> Hi
> Are you guys interrested in coorporation with #D or not (if not I don't 
> waste time writing about new #D technology) ?
> - Have you looked at the new file templates yet?
> - I've fixed some bugs in the projects layer
> - I've added a new functionality to the language backend: expression 
> finder -> this is used for finding the expression before the '.'.
>    I changed the algorithm it works much better now.
> - I worked a bit on the pretty printer -> anybody cares to help?
> - fixed many parser bugs :)  btw. isn't it really stupid to change 
> namespaces of code that can be shared with ease between #D and 
> MonoDevelop, what is the point?
>   As long as I maintain #Refactory (and don't work for Ximian/Novell :)) 
> I won't change the namespace to MonoDevelop ... will you fork the whole 
> stuff, change the
>   namespace every release of the basic libraries or will you replace it 
> with something different ?
> Regards
> Mike


	I agree we could benefit from cooperation.  For the namespace changes I
think it was done because it's trivial to rename them and that people
were confused which parts were ported and what not.  If you consider it
important that the namespaces remain, we could comply with that for the
non-gui parts.  I personally consider what the namespace is to be
irrelevent, but what do I know.
	One thing that would be helpful in my opinion is to include patches in
your svn commits list. Although we haven't merged any of your bug fixes
yet for lack of time, it would simplify things a bit. Also, do you have
an internal list were you discuss what things you are working on, and
future directions, etc?  If so making that public or shared here in some
way would also be helpful.  An example, is the parsing stuff that you
and Ben discussed on the other part of this thread.
	One thing that we as MonoDevelop need to do is a better job of using
this list for major changes instead of deciding things on IRC and by
private mail.  I am guilty of this myself so I am not trying to blame
anyone.  Is there anything else that would make things easier on your
	Last keep in mind that 90% of MonoDevelop is done by volunteers, so
please don't imply we are changing the namespaces as part of some sort
of conspiracy.  But perhaps I misunderstood you. As for the other things
(File templates) I have noticed your fixes but not had time to look them
over or merge them, or they are not in the part of the code I use yet.
Maybe others have I don't know.