[Mono-list] Mono Strategy
Miguel de Icaza
04 Oct 2001 12:00:54 -0400
> If Ximian tries to create a framework technology to Linux/UNIX, other
> strategy would be leverage GNOME/Gtk foundation to C++ (gcc 3.01 is very
> standar now), decoupling of intel specific hardware dependencies, use a
> garbage collector over C++, and develop thinking it must be portable, as
> is, to the cygwin, a POSIX like layer over Windows (very mature now!).
I think you missed some of our reasons to work on Mono:
* Cross Language Integration.
* Robust type checking and error handling (Look at any GNOME
API, and you will see defensive programming in action).
* C# the language is a very clean language, in the same league
as Java. I would not want to have to maintain/deal with
* Some of us do not like C++ as a programming language.
* .NET will very likely become a very large platform if only
because of all the marketing and Microsoft penetration is