[Mono-devel-list] String.Replace patch to Managed code.

Andreas Nahr ClassDevelopment at A-SoftTech.com
Mon May 31 19:06:01 EDT 2004


I'm working on string for quite some time now, but only when I find spare time to do so, so things are progressing relatively slow in that field (especially as things are very performance sensitive in there and need a *lot* of testing)

And I think that also a slight problem with your patch. Just from looking at it (without too much testing): The performance of it would be really bad.
For the invariant version a relatively fast managed implementation is relatively easy (unfortunatelly it is still a little bit slower than native, but a lot faster than your solution):

   string tmp = InternalAllocateStr (length);
   fixed (char* s = &start_char, d = tmp) {
    char* source = s, dest = d;
    for (int x = 0; x < length; x++) {
     if (*source == oldChar)
      *dest = newChar;
      *dest = *source;
   return tmp;

If you like to test things a little bit you could also look at this optimized version (needs the CharCopy patch I submitted to this list):

   fixed (char* source = &start_char) {
    for (int x = 0; x < length; x++) {
     if (source[x] == oldChar) {
      string tmp = InternalAllocateStr (length);
      fixed (char* dest = tmp) {
       CharCopy (source, dest, x);
       source[x] = newChar;
       for (; x < length; x++) {
        if (source[x] == oldChar)
         dest[x] = newChar;
         dest[x] = source[x];
      return tmp;
   return this;


  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: grompf 
  To: mono-devel-list at lists.ximian.com 
  Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 9:03 PM
  Subject: [Mono-devel-list] String.Replace patch to Managed code.

  In my effort to address bug #59274, I tracked the problem down to icu/glib in locales.c not replacing \0.

  Attached is a patch for String.cs to replace the internal methods with managed code.

  There is probably a more efficient way of Replace(String, String), but both of these methods have been tested and working for bug #59274 as well as other Replace testings. However, I'm a little unsure how to test the culture dependancy of Replace(String, String). Considering the IndexOf call should determine the culture as well, it _should_ be ok as far I understand the culture dependancy stuff.

  If this looks good, let me know and I'll move on to some other methods (like IndexOf).



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-devel-list/attachments/20040601/d52156b3/attachment.html 

More information about the Mono-devel-list mailing list