[Mono-aspnet-list] Globalization still not working in Mono 2.10

Robert Jordan robertj at gmx.net
Thu May 5 17:14:15 EDT 2011

On 05.05.2011 21:29, H . wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> thanks for the information. Yes, I am testing under Windows but I want to deploy my applications under Linux in the future. I have tested the following
> <globalization fileEncoding="iso-8859-1" culture="de-DE" uiCulture="de-DE"/>  section.
> This is what I found out:
> fileEncoding="utf-8": Default.aspx must be utf-8, test.htm must be utf-8
> fileEncoding="iso-8859-1": Default.aspx can be utf-8 or iso-8859-1, test.htm must be utf-8!?!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hy4kkhe0%28v=VS.80%29.aspx says
that fileEncoding only applies to ASP.NET handlers. That's why test.htm
is unaffected by this setting.

>> From the results I conclude the following:
> Mono cannot display standard html files encoded in iso-8859-1. The problem for me is, that I have to display certain static html files from a database. These files' encodings are corrupted in Mono.

I took a look at Mono's code and it seems that static files are
indeed served as is, w/out any charset set etc. This seems to
match MS' docs:


So try to add a meta header to these html files:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />


More information about the Mono-aspnet-list mailing list