[Mono-aspnet-list] Globalization still not working in Mono 2.10

H . test051102 at hotmail.com
Thu May 5 15:29:07 EDT 2011

Hi Robert,

thanks for the information. Yes, I am testing under Windows but I want to deploy my applications under Linux in the future. I have tested the following
<globalization fileEncoding="iso-8859-1" culture="de-DE" uiCulture="de-DE"/> section.

This is what I found out:

fileEncoding="utf-8": Default.aspx must be utf-8, test.htm must be utf-8
fileEncoding="iso-8859-1": Default.aspx can be utf-8 or iso-8859-1, test.htm must be utf-8!?!

>From the results I conclude the following:
Mono cannot display standard html files encoded in iso-8859-1. The problem for me is, that I have to display certain static html files from a database. These files' encodings are corrupted in Mono.

Anyway, I will do further testings of my web applications based on the above <globalization> section and strict utf-8 encoding.

Best regards,

> To: mono-aspnet-list at lists.ximian.com
> From: robertj at gmx.net
> Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 21:20:21 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Mono-aspnet-list] Globalization still not working in Mono 2.10
> On 04.05.2011 20:12, H . wrote:
> >
> >
> > Take a look at the tests I have done. I have extended the bug report.
> > Yes, fileEncoding="iso-8859-1" fixed some of the problems. But why is
> >
> > No, there is definitely a problem. I have several working web
> > applications that are currently running under .Net Framework. When
> > beeing tested under Mono 2.10 there are lots of encoding problems.
> > But I have to say, that I can't yet provide an appropriate sample
> > application that demonstrates the issue.
> >
> > By the way, the sample application that I have created and added to
> > the bug report does work without any modifications under .Net
> > Framework. There are absolutely no encoding problems! What I want, is
> > that such an application can be run without modification (or at least
> > with minimal modifications) under Mono.
> [Assuming you're testing under Windows, as stated in
> your bug report]
> If MS.NET does not detect a UTF BOM, it will fall
> back to the default locale's encoding. Mono for Windows
> does not fall back. It will simply assume en_US -> ANSI.
> <globalization culture="de_DE" uiCulture="de_DE" ... />
> might fix it, but I didn't test it.
> Right now you're mixing utf8 and iso-8859-1 files
> (Default.aspx file is ISO, while test.htm is UTF8).
> It only works correctly under MS.NET because your locale's
> default encoding is matching the file encoding.
> With other words: it works by accident.
> If you want a consistent setup, then try not to mix
> file encodings, use UTF8 or set "fileEncoding" and set
> the "culture" attribute (to make Mono for Windows happy).
> Also, don't touch the request- and resposeEncoding attributes
> as they have nothing to do with the file encoding.
> Robert
> _______________________________________________
> Mono-aspnet-list mailing list
> Mono-aspnet-list at lists.ximian.com
> http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-aspnet-list
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-aspnet-list/attachments/20110505/792b2020/attachment.html 

More information about the Mono-aspnet-list mailing list