[Mono-announce-list] ANNOUNCE: Beagle & Libbeagle 0.3.4
dbera.web at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 18:31:58 EDT 2008
Allow me to introduce Beagle 0.3.4 and Libbeagle 0.3.4. This is
mostly a bugfix release and fixes several build problems, including
building with mono 1.9 and gnome-sharp 2.20. We have also upgraded to
Lucene.Net 2.1 which comes with speed and memory improvements. Your
data will automatically re-indexed; you have to regenerate static
indexes if you created any custom ones.
THE SHORT OF IT
To download the 0.3.4 release or learn more about Beagle, visit
the Beagle web page:
WHAT IS BEAGLE?
Beagle is a Linux desktop-independent service which transparently and
unobtrusively indexes your data in real-time. For example:
* Files are immediately indexed when they are created, are re-indexed
when they are modified, and are dropped from the index upon deletion.
* E-mails are indexed upon arrival.
* IM conversations are indexed as you chat, a line at a time.
* Web pages are indexed as you view them (with a browser extension).
* Notes and address-book entries are indexed as they are created.
Beagle supports many different data sources and file formats. For a
complete listing, visit:
Beagle uses the Lucene indexing system from the Apache project and the
prodigious Doug Cutting, ported to .NET by George Aroush.
Beagle includes an optional GNOME-based graphical tool for searching
its indexes. Also included is an experimental web based search interface.
To learn more about Beagle, visit:
* Dependency changes
* Packaging changes
* API Changes
* New features
* Beagle bug fixes
* Libbeagle bug fixes
* Translation changes
* Known issues
NOTABLE CHANGES between 0.3.3 and 0.3.4
* Need Mono at least 1.2.4; recommended at least 1.9
* GMime-sharp recommended at least 2.2.16
* All the global configuration files are now in a single place in
* Add API to set the number of words and the total length of the snippets.
* Move to Lucene.Net 2.1 (backported a faster analyzer and other improvements).
* Move query mapping (e.g. mappings for ext:, genre:) to a separate
user editable /etc/beagle/query-mapping.xml (global) and
~/.beagle/query-mapping.xml (local). beagled needs to be restarted to
read the new mappings.
* Expose a Hide/Show DBus interface for beagle-search.
* Firefox search bar plugin to query using beagle's web interface.
* Add a tool beagle-static-query to query beagle without starting
beagled. This is mainly meant for static indexes (like locate with the
system index, like mod for a monodoc index).
* Lots of beagle-search beautification.
* Add a query mapping "filename:" to query for filenames and words in
it (e.g. match My in MyFile.txt and My_File.txt).
* Enable the TeXinfo filter.
* Add a filter for .info files (including gz/bz2/lzma compressed info
files). manpages crawl rule now contains /usr/share/info.
* SIGUSR2 will now also print runtime debugging information of beagled.
[BUGFIX - beagle]
* Use the new Mono.Unix.UnixSignal if built with mono 1.9. This should
remove the last of the beagled/index-helper hangs during shutdown.
* Add the missing files for the firefox extension sidebar.
* Show a better error message if ~/.beagle is not found when the
firefox extension is started (should help debian #463922).
* Fixes #514252 (evo backends now explicitly reference glib-sharp)
* Fixes #509487 (use LANG=C when external programs are started from any filter)
* Fix build with mono 1.9 and gnome-sharp 2.20 (#514252, #518220)
* Fix property change indexing (renames, moves etc.) which broke in 0.3.0
* Fix our filter matching algorithm to correctly choose filters in the
right order and move to the next one if one filter fails.
* Fix file leak in ebuild filter.
* Clean up some tmp files which could have left behind during a corner case.
* Fix a startup crash in the Pidgin backend if the Pidgin log
directory is absent during beagled startup.
* Check for msgfmt in ./configure before building.
* Fix glib-critical warnings in libbeagle (and python bindings) when
snippets with empty fragments were sent by beagled.
* Fix some bugs in snippet due to which valid matches were not
included in the snippets.
[BUGFIX - libbeagle]
* Timeout in libbeagle if connection to beagled takes more than 5
secs. This will prevent hangs in konqueror/gtkfilechooser if beagled
is hanged for some reason.
* Do not throw error if scheduler information and index information is
empty since they can actually be empty.
* Spanish (Jorge Gonzalez)
* Polish (GNOME PL Team.)
* Basque (Inaki Larranaga Murgoitio)
* Italian (Gianvito Cavasoli)
* Japanese (Takeshi AIHANA)
* Norwegian bokmål (Kjartan Maraas)
* Finnish (Ilkka Tuohela)
* Catalan (Jordi Mas, Gil Forcada)
* Occitan (Yannig Marchegay)
* Swedish (Daniel Nylander)
* Brazilian Portuguese (Igor Soares)
* French (Stéphane Raimbault)
* British English (Philip Withnall)
* Hungarian (Gabor Kelemen)
Contributors to this release: Debajyoti Bera, Lukas Lipka, Kevin
Kubasik, Nirbheek Chauhan and Jaikumar Singh.
Full set of changes:
* Beagled might wake up the CPU even when idle. This is due to certain
limitations in mono.
* Presence of procmail log files in a users' KMail directory can cause
problems with GMime. This is fixed with GMime 2.2.16.
* Some users are reporting this crash in gmime "gmime-ERROR **: file
gmime-stream-fs.c: line 280 (stream_seek): should not be reached": I
am told this is related to building gmime with LFS support.
* Some files and directories for users with a non-UTF8 locale might
not be correctly handled. We are working on this.
Debajyoti Bera @ http://dtecht.blogspot.com
More information about the Mono-announce-list