[Gtk-sharp-list] GTK versions
José Alexandre Antunes Faria
spigaz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 14:13:09 EST 2005
Hi there guys,
I have discussed this problem many times on IRC, even with miguel.
I'm going to try to be clear and short.
1. The newer the GTK version, the more widgets it as, greater is the
2. Final clients want the greatest possible gui.
3. Corporate clients have typically old gtk versions.
4. Developers and enthusiasts have newer gtk versions.
5. Corporate clients pay.
6. Developers and enthusiast push linux forward and help flush out bugs
for corporate clients.
Every costumer should get the newest possible gtk.
1. gtk 2.2 is hidden under gtk-sharp 1.0
2. gtk 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 is hidden under gtk-sharp 2.0
2. released gtk-sharp 2.0 is limited by gtk 2.4
So now every developer who wants to target 2.6 or 2.8 has to custom
It should be possible to have them all installed.
Even for final clients.
I know makebundle should allow us to ship newer versions to clients with
Besides we are needing an entry fork on monodoc, how do we feed in
documentation for more fresh features. I know most are the same.
What I propose is to have different gtk-sharps and to make things
simpler, I would advise something like:
1. gtk-sharp 2.2 -> gtk 2.2
2. gtk-sharp 2.4 -> gtk 2.4
4. gtk-sharp 2.6 -> gtk 2.6
5. gtk-sharp 2.8 -> gtk 2.8
One could use a number like 2.3.x for 2.4 betas.
Once I thought this was the target, but now I think it isn't anymore.
This would make things a lot clearer for me developers.
Probably I'm being lame or missing a bunch of things.
More information about the Gtk-sharp-list