[MonoDevelop] decompilation failed

Adam Connelly adam.rpconnelly at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 07:10:21 UTC 2013

Hey, can you give an explanation of what you were actually doing /
trying to do at the time? It's just not very clear from your message.

Cecil is a library for reading and writing the intermediate language
that .net code is compiled into. http://www.mono-project.com/Cecil

>From the stack trace, it looks like monodevelop was trying to
disassemble some code, which would explain why it was using Cecil.

Typically sorting these kind of errors is a case of making the
assembly available by putting it somewhere that mono/.net can find it.
That would normally be the working directory or the gac. But since I'm
not totally clear what you're trying to do, this could be totally
useless info.


> On 8 Nov 2013, at 13:12, ubuntuN00b <ew1259 at iozak.com> wrote:
> Hello. Lets jump right into the meat of it:
> <error>
> Decompilation failed:
> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not resolve:
> Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game, Version=, Culture=neutral,
> PublicKeyToken=842cf8be1de50553
>  at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve
> (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters
> parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
>  at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve
> (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
>  at Mono.Cecil.DefaultAssemblyResolver.Resolve
> (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
>  at
> MonoDevelop.Projects.Dom.DomCecilCompilationUnit+SimpleAssemblyResolver.Resolve
> (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
>  at ICSharpCode.Decompiler.Ast.Transforms.IntroduceUsingDeclarations.Run
> (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.AstNode compilationUnit) [0x00000] in
> <filename unknown>:0
>  at
> ICSharpCode.Decompiler.Ast.Transforms.TransformationPipeline.RunTransformationsUntil
> (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.AstNode node, System.Predicate`1
> abortCondition, ICSharpCode.Decompiler.DecompilerContext context) [0x00000]
> in <filename unknown>:0
>  at ICSharpCode.Decompiler.Ast.AstBuilder.RunTransformations
> (System.Predicate`1 transformAbortCondition) [0x00000] in <filename
> unknown>:0
>  at MonoDevelop.AssemblyBrowser.DomMethodNodeBuilder.Decompile
> (Mono.TextEditor.TextEditorData data, Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition module,
> Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition currentType, System.Action`1 setData) [0x00000] in
> <filename unknown>:0
> </error>
> I've used monodevelop just long enough to get this error so I don't assume I
> know anything. However I'm willing to do the work and get this thing fixed
> with or without help, so even if you don't know what's going on I could
> really use some advice and ideas because I'm in over my head here.
> What I know so far is that the error is caused by the missing Microsoft
> library that I don't have because I'm on linux. I've found a crazy method of
> downloading the files in linux but have no idea what to do with them.
> Apparently this all has something to do with "cecil" not finding the file.
> I don't know why it matters to have the file just to see the code, but my
> plan now is to read the open source code for cecil and see what it should be
> doing when it tries to find the file. If I can't work around what it SHOULD
> normally do maybe I can hack it... If I can figure out what it is and how to
> use it.
> Thank you.
> --
> View this message in context: http://mono.1490590.n4.nabble.com/decompilation-failed-tp4661254.html
> Sent from the Mono - MonoDevelop IDE mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> Monodevelop-list mailing list
> Monodevelop-list at lists.ximian.com
> http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monodevelop-list

More information about the Monodevelop-list mailing list