[MonoDevelop] Mono.Addins 0.6 released
Lluis Sanchez Gual
slluis.devel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 10:01:27 EST 2011
I'm pleased to announce the release of Mono.Addins 0.6.
Mono.Addins is a generic framework for creating extensible applications,
and for creating libraries which extend applications.
The 0.6 release of Mono.Addins includes many improvements, bug fixes and
* Add-in engine
* Add-in name and description can now be localized. There
are new custom attributes for defining them, and can
also be specified as xml elements in an add-in manifest
instead of attributes.
* Support for custom add-in properties. It is now possible
to specify arbitrary properties in add-ins, which can be
queried at install time (using the Mono.Addins.Setup
API) or at run-time.
* Custom extension attributes now allow specifying an
extension path. In this way it is now possible to use a
single custom attribute to define extensions for
different extension points.
* The default add-in directory and the add-in database
directory can now be customized. In previous releases,
those directories were always created as a subdirectory
of the main registry directory. In this release, the
location can be set to any directory.
* Improved error reporting when a dependency is missing.
* Added support for specifying the type of the content of
string node attributes. This information is used for
documentation purposes only.
* The Cecil based reflector now uses the new Cecil/Light,
which is smaller and faster
* Add-in management
* Added support for enabling/disabling registered
* Added support for downloable support files, to be used
for package icons, screenshots, etc.
* New and improved add-in manager for GTK#. The user
interface has been completely redesigned to make it more
usable. Add-in updates are more visible and easy to
install. The add-in gallery is integrated in the main
window, and can show custom add-in icons and preview
* Added new API for accessing custom add-in properties,
even before installing them.
* Included information about download size.
* Bug fixes:
* Allow overwriting files when installing.
* Fixed add-in unloading issues.
* Fixed crash when running in .NET 4.0
* AddinRepository.LastModified is always 01.01.1900
* Addin registry access/creation errors when accessed via
* Addin discovery/loading fails when running Visual Studio
* ImportAddinAssemblyAttribute can't be used multiple
* Fix bug in GetAvailableAddin.
* Fix add-in database issue when the last add-in of a
folder is deleted or upgraded
* Don't allow inheriting CustomExtension attributes. The
attribute must be explicitly applied to classes to be
marked as extensions.
If you are interested in knowing more about Mono.Addins, take a look at
You can download the source code from:
and from GitHub:
More information about the Monodevelop-list