[MonoDevelop] Building Mono/MonoDevelop from git source

Peter Hultqvist phq at endnode.se
Mon Feb 7 04:48:07 EST 2011

2011-02-07 02:30, Michael Hutchinson skrev:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Peter Hultqvist <phq at endnode.se> wrote:
>> Hello
>> Today I decided to get the latest version of MonoDevelop. From github I
>> got the sources for mono/debugger, mono, mono-addins and monodevelop.
>> The remaining dependencies came from ubuntu 10.10 packages.
>> The new mono was installed first and the remaining packages was built
>> and installed with the newly compiled mono compiler.
>> Everything was done with the /opt/mono prefix.
>> It all compiled fine but when I try to start monodevelop I get a single
>> error:
>>    Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: A type load exception
>> has occurred.
>> Other mono applications from ubuntu also fail in this new
>> environment(somewhat expected), still some of my own (non-graphical)
>> applications work fine.
>> Does anyone have any idea what could be missing?
> Not without the full error message.
That was the complete error message, some other applications do generate
more such as:
    Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type
'Docky.Docky' from assembly 'Docky, Version=, Culture=neutral,
But still a one-liner.

See attachment for: (/opt/mono/bin/)mono --verbose --debug
/opt/mono/lib/monodevelop/bin/MonoDevelop.exe > monodevelop.txt
Not included is the error output which was the previous single line.

Is there any way I could have compiled mono or monodevelop with more
debugging info?

> Please read http://mjhutchinson.com/journal/2007/11/08/how_not_break_mono

> Most likely you are running into
> http://www.mono-project.com/Parallel_Mono_Environments#BEWARE:_pkgconfig_fallback_behaviour
The second page is what I used to set up the environment.

I tried various MONO_GAC_PREFIX such as /opt/mono,
/opt/mono/lib/mono/gac but the result was the same.

Finally I tried MONO_GAC_PREFIX=/usr and it got monodevelop 2.6 started.
However now I'm confused, this method sounds to me like what the page
warned about to avoid.

-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: monodevelop.txt
Url: http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/monodevelop-list/attachments/20110207/6d311929/attachment.txt 

More information about the Monodevelop-list mailing list