[MonoDevelop] problem with diacritics (accents etc)

Mark Kane mkane23 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 14:14:29 EDT 2009

Hi Ian,

What operating system are you using? I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8.

I tried the search-->find idea and it can find a diacritic character
with no problem in the text editing window of monodevelop. My problem
seems just to be related to the application output window. So I tried
changing fonts of the application window, however this did not work.

Once I found I could no longer make progress with the application
output wrt diacritics, my next step was to check and see if I could
read in and write out diacritic characters to a file. This proved not
to be a problem. Outputted files were viewed using VIM with no

As for viewing diacritics in the application window, the following
example holds true for me.

string str = "é";

*** output ***

str = str.Replace("é","e");

*** output ***

Furthermore, I tried running the code above from a terminal with both
UTF-8 and Latin-1 with no change in results.

Hi Tom/Oskar,
As for the encoding of the source-code file itself, I just use
whatever Monodevelop uses (default). I checked this using the command:
file -I nameOfFile

the result was UTF-8.
(NOTE: out of curiosity I checked another .cs file that was created
using monodevelop in my work folder and it was US-ASCII)

thank you all for your time with this matter,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Tom Spink <tspink at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> 2009/10/22 Mark Kane <mkane23 at gmail.com>:
>> To Oskar,
>> I have left that as another problem. For the moment I'm just concerned
>> with having a simple c# program that uses Console.writeline("é") and
>> thats it. So in this scenario there is no source, I'm not reading
>> information from a file.
> I'm pretty sure Oskar means is your source-code file saved as UTF-8.
> --
> Tom Spink

More information about the Monodevelop-list mailing list