[MonoDevelop] ANNOUNCE: Mono.Addins 0.1
lluis at ximian.com
Mon Mar 26 11:46:34 EDT 2007
I'm pleased to announce the release of Mono.Addins.
Mono.Addins is a generic framework for creating extensible applications,
and for creating libraries which extend those applications.
Mono.Addins has been designed to be easy to use and useful for a wide
range of applications: from simple applications with small extensibility
needs, to complex applications which need support for large add-in
This new framework intends to set an standard for building extensible
applications and add-ins in Mono. I've created a mailing list I
encourage you to subscribe if you have suggestions or questions about
The main features of Mono.Addins are:
* Supports descriptions of add-ins using custom attributes (for
simple and common extensions) or using an xml manifest (for more
complex extensibility needs).
* Support for add-in hierarchies, where add-ins may depend on
* Lazy loading of add-ins.
* Provides an API for accessing to add-in descriptions, which will
allow building development and documentation tools for handling
* Dynamic activation / deactivation of add-ins at run time.
* Allows sharing add-in registries between applications, and
defining arbitrary add-in locations.
* Allows implementing extensible libraries.
* In addition to the basic add-in engine, it provides a Setup
library to be used by applications which want to offer basic
add-in management features to users, such as enabling/disabling
add-ins, or installing add-ins from on-line repositories.
If you are interested in knowing more about Mono.Addins, this document
explains the library basics and some examples:
If you are *really* interested and want to know in detail everything
about Mono.Addins, see: http://www.mono-project.com/Mono.Addins.
You can download a tarball from:
Latest from SVN at:
More information about the Monodevelop-list