[MonoDevelop] Unable to create or load projects with MD 0.12

Dean Brettle dean at brettle.com
Sat Sep 9 19:07:32 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 23:22 +0100, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using Fedora Core 6 test 3 with mono-1.1.17-1 and the other bits
> supplied in either Core or Extras.
> I've built MD 0.12 and while it runs to an extent, when I try to create
> or load a project, MD hangs with the following output
> Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
> set to an instance of an object
> at MonoDevelop.Core.AddIns.Setup.SetupService.UpdateRepository
> (IProgressMonitor monitor, System.Uri baseUri,
> MonoDevelop.Core.AddIns.Setup.RepositoryRecord rr) [0x00000]
> at MonoDevelop.Core.AddIns.Setup.SetupService.UpdateRepository
> (IProgress Monitor monitor, System.String url) [0x00000]
> at MonoDevelop.Core.AddIns.Setup.SetupService.UpdateRepositories
> (IProgressMonitor monitor) [0x00000]
> at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.AddinUpdateHandler.UpdateAddins() [0x00000]
> at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.MulticastDelegate:invoke_void()
> It certainly looks like an MD problem, but any guidance would be
> useful...

Yesterday I saw the same behavior for a couple hours with MD 0.11 on FC5
x86_64.  I tried clearing ~/.wapi, clearing ~/.config/MonoDevelop,
rebooting, opening different projects, etc. but nothing worked.
Occasionally the project would load and a file would display in the
editor but MD would hang before I could do anything else.  Then, all of
sudden, one time, it worked.  I'm afraid to see if it works repeatably
now for fear of hanging my current working instance...

I'm not sure whether the problem is related to the above error.  I see
that error (plus "socket already in use") as part of starting up MD,
even before I try to load a project.  On the other hand, it doesn't look
like I got that error the one time that it worked.

BTW, I tried using strace to see what was happening when the hang
occurred, but the only clue I got was that it looked like it was waiting
on a futex.  I couldn't figure out what the futex was associated with

Since this problem seems to be somewhat transient, is happening with
both MD 0.11 and 0.12, and doesn't seem to be associated a change to any
particular code or component, I'm wondering whether a problem connecting
to the Add-In server could be the cause.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/monodevelop-list/attachments/20060909/be8abf07/attachment.html 

More information about the Monodevelop-list mailing list