[Mono-winforms-list] WineLib or GTK#
28 Jan 2003 18:05:48 -0500
>From tallying up all of your suggestions, it appears as if most are in
favor of implementing SWF with WineLib.
I am also supporting the WineLib idea; and here are the reasons why:
1. Microsoft never intended Windows.Forms to be cross-platform, which is
why ECMA-wise, SWF is not a part of the standard.
2. If people are focusing on cross-platform apps, properly coding with
the Path class, skipping out on win32 api, not using windows registry...
they're probably going to use a cross-platform toolkit like GTK#
3. We want Mono to look like a solid framework; and supporting SWF 100%
is a VERY attractive feature.
4. GTK# already exists as a separate GUI and placing chunks of it into
SWF would seem awkward.
5. Implement WineLib would be a lot easier to reach a large percentage
of compatibility; a lot of code in Wine saves us the work.
6. Parts of SWF classes in mono cvs appear to already have some WineLib
code in them.
7. No concern should be attached to how everything would "look" when
implemented with WineLib because this can always be changed and I'm sure
the Wine people will be thinking about a native feel anyhow.
8. BECAUSE I SAID SO!
All kidding aside though, reply with some thoughts.