[Mono-osx] Assertion failed: Cairo Reference Count - only on Mac

Ashok Gelal ashokgelal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 14:56:08 EST 2011

I didn't expect it to be that much 'toy'. And the crashes that it had was
only occurring  on Mac so I thought it to be Mac specific.
Well, I learned it the hard way. It would be nice if we can add "Don't use
Cairo's text APIs but use Pango's..." recommendation/caution somewhere on
Mono's GtkSharp/Cairo documentation.


On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Michael Hutchinson <
m.j.hutchinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Ashok Gelal <ashokgelal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This seems to work! This is unbelievable! Spent a month on trying to fix
> > this silly bug, and replacing Cairo's ShowText with Pango's ShowLayout
> was
> > all it needed.
> > Thank you Felix. You are a life saver! I owe you a coffee or two ;)
> > PS: This is just a workaround, the bug still exists on Cairo part. I will
> > file a bug report and will also post this workaround so that anyone
> looking
> > for an alternative solution doesn't have to spend 1 month or so.
> Agreed, but FWIW, the Cairo text API is explicitly documented to be a
> "toy" text API, and it's recommended to use Pango:
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/cairo/stable/cairo-text.html
> --
> Michael Hutchinson
> http://mjhutchinson.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-osx/attachments/20110209/920b6c78/attachment-0001.html 

More information about the Mono-osx mailing list