[Mono-list] Building Mono on Windows

Robert Jordan robertj at gmx.net
Mon May 24 16:50:48 EDT 2010

On 24.05.2010 20:13, Giles Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to build Mono on Windows, and have hit a problem which I'm
> struggling to work my way around -- I'd be grateful for any help.

The bad news first: the Windows build is broken at present.
Comments inline.

> Here's the error message:
> ----------
> make[8]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mono/mcs/tools/gacutil'
> Creating ../../build/deps/gacutil.exe.response ...
> MCS     [basic] gacutil.exe
> The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
> It should have been installed in the
> `C:\cygwin\usr\src\mono\mono\mono\mini\lib\
> mono\2.0\mscorlib.dll' directory.
> make[8]: *** [../../class/lib/basic/gacutil.exe] Error 1

This probably a problem on your side. Do you have an official
Mono installation in your path as suggested by Shana's docs?

> I'm following the instructions on this excellent (but, I think, slightly
> out of date) blog post:
> <http://shana.worldofcoding.com/en/mono_cygwin_tutorial.html>, which is
> linked from the Mono website.

They are still relevant (modulo version numbers).

> * I created a fresh Cygwin install, with the packages described, with
> the path set up appropriately for the new packaged Mono install location.

See above.

> * I installed make 3.80 from the Mono website -- it needed libintl2 in
> addition to the other Cygwin packages mentioned in the blog post.  (Now
> that Cygwin has 3.81 in its package repo, I imagine that this might no
> longer be necessary, but I felt it was worth sticking with what was
> meant to work...)

This special Make version is still required.

> * I ran ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local in /usr/src/mono/ -- it
> initially gave a bunch of errors, apparently due to DOS line endings in
> eglib/autogen.sh.  However, I wasn't sure if these were expected...

The CRLF issue is probably caused by a Tortoise SVN checkout.
You're supposed to use cygwin's svn and also take care to mount
cygwin's "drives" in binary mode (it's the default, though).

> * ...so I ran make, and got "mv: cannot stat `t-es.gmo': No such file or
> directory"
> * Google pointed me here
> <http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-list/2008-September/039671.html>,
> so I installed gettext-devel as advised.

Another solution is to autogen with --enable-nls=no or --disable-nls.

> * I got the error reported at the start of this email, and spend some
> time trying to work out what was happening vs what was meant to be
> happening, and got nowhere.

You're not alone on the journey to nowhere :) I'll post a
status update if I manage to fix the build.


More information about the Mono-list mailing list