[Mono-list] [ANN] Smokey 220.127.116.11 - assembly bug checker
jesjones at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 27 00:17:36 EDT 2008
Smokey is a command line tool used to analyze assemblies and report
problems. Problems include buggy code (e.g. infinite recursion, null
deref, malformed format string), performance issues (e.g. string
concatenation in loops, excessive boxing, large structs), violations
of the .NET design guidelines (e.g. inheriting from
ApplicationException or ICloneable, naming, and swallowing
exceptions), and miscellaneous rules like misspelled words in string
You can download Smokey from the web site:
<https://home.comcast.net/~jesse98/public/Smokey>. The web site also
has an html report for one of the System assemblies and a list of all
of Smokey's rules.
Changes from Smokey 18.104.22.168:
* Added 3 new rules:
ClassPrefix, majority of class names in a namespace start with a
Hungarian, a type uses Hungarian notation for variable names.
WinFormsVoodoo, Application.EnableVisualStyles and
SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault aren't called.
* InternalInterfaceRule checks to see if the interface is actually
* UseBaseTypesRule checks to see if the base type is externally visible.
* UseBaseTypesRule ignores parameters with generic types (they aren't
handled quite right by the rule).
* RequireSerializableCtorRule ignores classes which inherit from
Exception (ExceptionConstructorsRule will handle those).
* Made SerializeExceptionRule cause language clearer.
* Added more system methods for IgnoredReturnRule to ignore.
* InternalInterfaceRule report now includes the interface name.
More information about the Mono-list