[Mono-list] MySQL Connector - NUnit Issues

Charlie Poole charlie at nunit.com
Tue Aug 26 15:20:49 EDT 2008

I think this is a question of how the assembly is loaded by
monodevelop, which may not actually use NUnit to create the
appdomain - don't take this as gospel, I don't know the MD
code. When NUnit does it *itself* it creates an AppDomain
that uses a config file following the naming pattern you

One way to test this... run the assembly directly using
the nunit console or gui runner from the same release of
nunit that your copy of MD uses. If it works, then you
have an MD issue, if not it's an NUnit issue.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: mono-list-bounces at lists.ximian.com 
> [mailto:mono-list-bounces at lists.ximian.com] On Behalf Of krdavis
> Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:00 AM
> To: mono-list at lists.ximian.com
> Subject: [Mono-list] MySQL Connector - NUnit Issues
> First off I have scoured the list and found similar but not 
> identical problems to mine without a solution. Development 
> environemnt is Ubuntu 8.04, Mono 1.9.1 and Monodevelop 2.0 Alpha.
> I have used JUnit for years and I am new NUnit and the 
> nuances of assemblies and how they are located and loaded.  I 
> have an ASP.NET application that uses a custom membership 
> provider (w/MySQL as the backend).  The provider works fine,  
> everything is being updated and what not.  I added the 
> following to my web.config to get my MySQL connection working:
> <system.web>
> ...
> <system.data>
>     <DbProviderFactories>
>       <clear />
>       <add name="MySQL Data Provider" 
> invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient"
>            description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL"
>            type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, 
> MySql.Data,
>                Version=, Culture=neutral, 
> PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
>     </DbProviderFactories>
>   </system.data>
> <system.web>
> This is great and the ASP.NET app works with MySQL, now the 
> problem.  Being a good developer, I want to create some unit 
> tests for my membership provider.  I created a separate test 
> project from my memberhip library project.  I added a project 
> reference to the membership project in my test project (good, 
> the dll will get copied to the test project).
> In the test project I created an app.config with the above 
> section from my web.config so my NUnit test will know about 
> the MySQL provider.  I create a simple test and my membership 
> dll (not the NUnit dll) throws:
> Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data 
> Provider 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient'. () ()
> My NUnit project copies the app.config to the appropriate 
> output directory properly named <assembly-name>.dll.config.  
> Examining the build output directory shows the NUnit dll and 
> its corresponding config file.  I added a bit of code to the 
> nunit test and found it is not picking up the correct config 
> file for the test dll. (it was picking up another config 
> *md*.config, monodevelop maybe?) I thought the default 
> behavior for NUnit was to pick up the config if I configured 
> the build directory with the renamed dll.
> I tried to open the dll.confg in the unit test directly (I 
> think that just lets me query the values, it doesn't actually 
> load the provider reference, if I am wrong here, please advise). 
> --
> View this message in context: 
> http://www.nabble.com/MySQL-Connector---NUnit-Issues-tp1916153
> 5p19161535.html
> Sent from the Mono - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> Mono-list maillist  -  Mono-list at lists.ximian.com 
> http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-list

More information about the Mono-list mailing list