[Mono-list] [ANN] Smokey 0.4.0.0
jesjones at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 23 21:13:30 EDT 2007
Smokey is a command line tool used to analyze assemblies and report
problems. Problems include buggy code (e.g. infinite recursion, null
deref, malformed format string), performance issues (e.g. string
concatenation in loops, excessive boxing, large structs), violations
of the .NET design guidelines (e.g. inheriting from
ApplicationException or ICloneable, naming, and swallowing
exceptions), and miscellaneous rules like misspelled words in string
You can download Smokey from <https://home.comcast.net/~jesse98/
public/smokey-0.4.0.0.tar.gz>. There's also a sample report at
<https://home.comcast.net/~jesse98/public/System.Xml.dll.txt> for a
1.2.5 candidate release 5 assembly. Note that Smokey found a few
serious errors as well as a host of lesser problems:
* An infinitely recursive property.
* Two clear cases of null being dereferenced along with two more
cases which may or may not be problematic.
Changes from Smokey 0.3.0.0:
* Smoking assemblies is now over 13x faster. Smokey should also scale
better as new rules are added.
* The Dataflow class has been completely rewritten and is now
reusable, much faster, more correct, and easier to understand.
* Added some new rules:
- AttributesNeedUsage, attribute was defined without an
- ConsistentEquality, equals methods and GetHashCode need to match
- ReservedExceptions, can't throw a handful of exceptions
reserved by CLR
- StructOverrides, structs should override both Equals and
- ValueHashCode, very inefficient to use the default
- VisibleFields, public type has non-constant public or protected
* Added Nitpick severity level and accompanying -severity option.
More information about the Mono-list