[Mono-docs-list] Re: [Mono-list] a beginning of a Gnome.NET tutorial
Miguel de Icaza
05 Nov 2002 12:03:58 -0500
> I had this crazy idea of a Gnome.NET tutorial, which could be a nice
> starting point for programmers whishing to get to understand and or
> develop with mono & gtk#.
> here: http://mwh.sysrq.dk/the_mono_tutorial/ is a beginning, containing
> very much nothing ;)
> My idea is to give an aplications programmer a nice overview and samples
> of code to get started. That is to be broad and not go into too much
> Now I hope to get some feedback from you.
> 1. Is this a good or bad idea?
Excellent idea. Johannes has been porting the sample programs from the
Gtk tutorial to Gtk#, I think your document has a bigger scope, because
you are addressing the Gnome development process, so you get to talk
about Gconf, Glade, etc.
> 2. Which content do you think should be covered in the tutorial?
My suggestion is to make a small application that would show
programmers how to build a full application, pick a target application
(for example you could pick the `same-gnome' game) and build it from
* Creating your UI using glade.
* Connecting the Glade code to C#
* Making the program go.
* Using the Canvas/Drawing.
* Creating a configuration dialog box with Glade.
* Loading configuration settings from GConf.
* Storing scores on a database.
* Adding an About Box and a logo
* Making the executable self-contained
* Creating a custom widget.
> 3. Is this allready being done?
Not that I know of.