[Mono-dev] Compiling Mono v2.4 RC2 (Solaris 10 SPARCv9)

Thracx SpamMonkey01+Mono at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 14:53:55 EDT 2009

Thanks for the post Jonathan, it's comforting to know that others share my
pain... lol..

Yeah, we get some useful information from adding MONO_LOG_LEVEL but I wasn't
able to figure out exactly where it's hanging.  I notice max CPU usage,
which normally indicates that it's stuck in an effective while(true) loop
instead of just 'hung' in some fashion.

As a side note, I recall an issue I had with my application running on Mono
v2.0.1 where it crashes and the app does not close - instead it sits at max
CPU utilization until I kill it.  I don't recall exactly how/why this
happened, but I believe it was an unhanded exception that bubbled up to the
top and for whatever reason AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException was
not firing.  I think I just solved the 'problem' by handling the exception
in my code, but didn't look any deeper into it because I can't use my
application on Mono until I can get Mono v2.4 working anyway (v2.0.1 is
missing stuff I need :-(  ).  I thought I read a reported bug on that which
was fixed in v2.4 but not in v2.2 (where I originally saw this
System.Xml.dll hanging problem)...

I'll try to test the above theory out this week, as that at least may
problem an idea as to what is happening, albeit not why or where.


Jonathan Soft wrote:
> I've also been trying to compile mono v2.4 on Solaris 10 SPARC and have
> run into the trouble exactly as you describe. By running the make process
> with 'MONO_LOG_LEVEL=debug' I've concluded that the build process hangs as
> soon as the local 2.4 mono is invoked to compile runtime .cs source files
> (<build root>/mono/mini/mono --config <build root>/runtime/etc/mono/config
> .//class/lib/monolite/mcs.exe etc.). By adding Mono v2.0.1 bin directory
> to the path we just postpone this "hanging" from the first attempt to use
> the local mono applied to  'build/deps/basic-profile-check.exe' to a later
> attempt applied to System.Xml.
> I poked arround at internal Makefiles, and by getting gmake to use v2.0.1
> mono instead of local 2.4 mono,  I was able to get passed System.Xml
> compilation, however I got stuck at mcs directory compilation, where no
> makefile manipulation I did could get gmake to use the preinstalled mono.
> As soon as gmake invokes [build root>/mono/mini/mono --config <build
> root>/runtime/etc/mono/config .//class/lib/monolite/mcs.exe] we're stuck.
> By running truss on the hanging process it would seem that it is really
> caught up in a never-ending loop, but I have no idea why.
> No more ideas at this point, but I'll post if I make any progress.

View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Compiling-Mono-v2.4-RC2-%28Solaris-10-SPARCv9%29-tp22587130p22886676.html
Sent from the Mono - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

More information about the Mono-devel-list mailing list