[Mono-dev] Web.Config thoughts and a few quick bugs..
cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Thu Jan 26 09:17:52 EST 2006
I'm developing a web app and in the process I've noticed that we are
implementing most of the features needed, but sometimes allowing
configurations which don't work and don't produce an error and or are
not compatible with other implementations.
#1 We should test for multiple web.config. NTFS and FAT are case
insensitive and thus don't allow for Web.Config and web.config, but EXT3
and friends does. Could this be as easy as looping through the
directories, lowercasing everything and then where the count is more
than 1 per directory give an error?
Performance impact, complexity and cross platform compatibility come to
Or would something as simple as clearly documenting we will only support
one way of naming the Web.Config work?
Option c: don't be a bone-head and make more than one web.config :)
<add verb="*" path="*.dll"
Rules I've noticed
a. Must be between <system.web>
desired error: Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration
b. Is case sensitive
desired error: Description: An error occurred during the processing
of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review
the specific error details below and modify your configuration file
Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section
c. <system.web> can't be between a <location> which is just a single
page (I don't imagine that will be easy to parse for)
d. Setting certain types to Forbidden doesn't have the same effect.. I
think our implementation makes more sense so I won't name all discovered
differences, but .dll don't see to be protected from the bin/ directory.
a. Currently we throw an error if <sessionstate> can't be found, but the
correct naming is sessionState (Fourth S needs to be Uppercase. (We have
b. Desired Error: Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration
c. Can't seem to get cookieless sessions working. (I do know that about
8 months ago we used to have some sort of support for this. I was
converting an app over and the rewrite was half-way working. In that
the URL were being rewritten, but it's wasn't preserving between pages.
So each page was just being rewritten with no benefit.
I'll slowly compile my list and can do bug reports in the next week or
so if I don't see the patches in SVN or am able to do it myself
More information about the Mono-devel-list