[Mono-devel-list] Mono and Ubuntu 5.10 Release Schedule

Ben Maurer bmaurer at ximian.com
Sun Jul 3 17:05:37 EDT 2005


On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 16:26 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello,
> > > I've already spoken with Mike, Ben, and Miguel on IRC, but I would
> > > appreciate any creative solutions to either API or scheduling issues
> > > that you can come up with.
> > 
> > Anybody ever tried doing a mono bundle with MD?
> It could be possible to ship the gtk# 2.x libraries in a way similar to
> what I describe here:
> 	http://www.mono-project.com/Template:LibrariesWithUnstableAPIs

That is absolutely viable if our interest lies in getting MD and other
apps working on Ubuntu.

However, the reason tseng and myself are trying to get a stable gtk# is
so that the current mess in Ubuntu can be avoided -- right now, the
official mono version is 1.0. But as we all know, there are various
limitations/bugs/etc in that. So people are getting 1.1 in various ways
(the installer, badly done packages from random people).

If we can't ship a stable Gtk# 2.4 platform in Ubuntu, we will delay the
adoption of the new Gtk#. Programs that have already adopted the
platform (MD, etc) will be harder to hack on.

-- Ben

PS: I think that in the (sad) case we are unable to get Gtk# 2.x
shipping with breezy, doing the private copy is a better plan than
shipping a non-stable version.

More information about the Mono-devel-list mailing list