[Mono-devel-list] Announce: MBuild 0.0.3.1
peter at newton.cx
Wed Aug 25 14:24:58 EDT 2004
You thought you were safe, you thought it was dead, but you were wrong!
MBuild 0.0.3.1 is a new release of my overengineered, much-hyped build
system. It is available at:
MBuild 0.0.3.1 requires Mono 1.0.1 and CVS monodoc. And by "CVS
monodoc", I mean "I committed a vitally important patch an hour ago."
All the documentation is now in monodoc format so this caveat is
MBuild 0.0.3.1 is still beta software, although I think it should be
usable for straightforward C# projects. At this point, I am looking to
get developers excited about MBuild and start contributing to make it
industrial-strength and ready for prime-time.
WHAT IS IT?
MBuild is a build system. It aims to enforce good build practices and
encourage cross-platform design while not being too hard to use. I think
of MBuild as "The tool for people who get angry when they even think
* Vast improvements, all over the system. Code cleanups, design
improvements, bug fixes, the works.
* There's a new tool called mb-bundlegen that generates "bundles"
(encapsulations of build rules and logic) from a simple file format
using CodeDom. It's pretty neat.
* There's a prototype graphical build configurator call mb-gtkconfig.
(That is, imagine if ./configure could give you an automatically
generated GTK user interface.)
* There are new bundles supporting the Monodoc documentation assembly,
PkgConfig, and much, much more.
* There is robust error detection and handling.
* There is installation and uninstallation, using a diabolically clever
* There is some API documentation (!) for parts of the Mono.Build
* The rest of the documentation has been converted into Monodoc format.
WHAT AM I WAITING FOR?
Good question! If you're a slave to the autotools, now's your chance to
Thanks for your time,
Peter Williams peter at newton.cx
"[Ninjas] are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet."
-- REAL Ultimate Power
More information about the Mono-devel-list