[Mono-devel-list] The arrival of the GAC
Miguel de Icaza
miguel at novell.com
Sat Apr 3 12:48:37 EST 2004
With the arrival of the GAC there are a few changes that we should
probably do, not everything here is cooked, and we need some discussion
* .NET 1.2 has been renamed 2.0, we should probably rename
NET_1_2 to NET_2_0
* What should mono's runtime directory contain?
The mono runtime directory contains precompiled assemblies
* mono/runtime only contains the basics (mscorlib,
System, System.dll), the rest goes into a more
complete package `mono-assemblies'?
* mono/runtime includes all assemblies we support for
.NET 1.1 (what we do today), and we find a way
of shipping the other runtimes in a different package
(.NET 1.0 and .NET 2.0)
* mono/runtime ships with all profiles compiled.
* We should have code built into mcs/class/lib/$PROFILE since
we are now going to support multiple builds.
* I think we need a single command to build all profiles in
a single pass: build 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 profiles on every build.
I do not think it should be the default for development, as it
slows things down.
* Building NET_2_0 is tricky because it requires the generics
compiler with a corlib that has generics support.
I think we need to "stage" this build:
* build .NET 1.1 mcs/mscorlib
* use mcs to build mscorlib with "reflection.emit"
support for generics (mscorlib-genreflection.dll)
* use mcs and the mscorlib-genreflection.dll to build
* use gmcs and mscorlib-genreflection.dll to build the
full mscorlib 2.0 that includes the
We should have a full process that bootstraps the NET_2_0
profile for sanity purposes.
More information about the Mono-devel-list