[Mono-announce-list] [ANN] Smokey 1.4 - assembly checker
jesjones at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 20 03:46:36 EDT 2008
Smokey is a command line tool used to analyze assemblies and report
problems. Problems include buggy code (e.g. infinite recursion, null
deref, malformed format string), performance issues (e.g. string
concatenation in loops, excessive boxing, large structs), violations
of the .NET design guidelines (e.g. inheriting from
ApplicationException or ICloneable, naming, and swallowing
exceptions), and miscellaneous rules like misspelled words in string
You can download Smokey from the web site:
<http://code.google.com/p/smokey/>. The web site also has an html
report for one of the System assemblies and a list of all of Smokey's
This release of Smokey has 233 rules.
Changes from Smokey 184.108.40.206:
* Added nineteen new rules:
- BaseDisposable, should have Dispose(bool) method.
- ConfusingDispose, not IDisposable but has Dispose method.
- ConstantResult, Equals, GetHashCode, or relational operator
always returns a constant.
- DerivedDisposable, Dispose(bool) should call base, don't have a
- Disposable, checks for eleven problems including improper
naming, a Dispose method throwing, and Dispose(bool) using a field
without a null check.
- EqualsMissesState, Equals does not check a field exposed by a
trivial get/set property.
- Finalizeable, empty, throws, or not IDisposable.
- HashButNoEquals, overrides GetHashCode, but not Equals.
- InvalidEnumFlags, marked as flags but all values are sequential.
- ISerializableMethods, not ISerializable but has
(SerializationInfo, StreamingContext) ctor.
- MutableField, externally visible field is readonly, mutable, and
not a value type.
- PreferSafeHandle, has a finalizer and an IntPtr field.
- RedundantOperand, selected binary operator or method is invoked
but both arguments are computed using identical code.
- SerializableAttribute, exception class is not marked with
- ThreadAbort, Thread.Abort was called.
- ThreadName, thread was instantiated but not given a name.
- ThreadSafeAttr, thread root was not marked with
ThreadRootAttribute/ThreadSafeAttribute, or method called from
multiple threads was not marked with ThreadSafeAttribute.
- UseIEquatable, defines Equals but isn't IEquatable<T>.
- VisiblePointer, externally visible IntPtr field is not readonly.
* Removed some rules (these have been folded into the new more general
* Removed DisposableButNoFinalizer rule (DisposeNativeResources
* Removed ignoreList setting (use dictionary setting instead).
* Write a message to stderr if aspell isn't installed (instead of
reporting a bug in smokey).
* GodClass rule fires for over 60 types instead of over 40 types.
* Smokey now does a better job resolving generic types.
* File and line numbers are now retrieved using Cecil instead of the
undocumented Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter, atlhough Cecil
doesn't seem to be as accurate as the old code.
* Lot's of minor bug fixes, including fixes for automatic properties
and mono 2.0.
More information about the Mono-announce-list